From early times

Eccleston Delph QuarrymenEccleston Delph has been known as the Eccy Delph, or Hurst House Delph for the last century, and was mined by 12 local quarrymen producing stone for Blackpool Promenade and thin slates to cover the local barns and roofs.

The Family of "Hurst" who originally owned and worked the Quarry, were well known in the area as Mr Hurst was Chairman of the Parish Council of Heskin for 20 years.





In 1930 the quarry became known as Marsh's Quarry, or Marsh's Delph.

fredmarsh fredamarsh hursthousequarry

Frederick Marsh ran the quarry from 1930 until his death in 1934, when his wife Freda took over.

Freda Marsh ran the quarry from 1934 to 1940/41.
Stone quarried at the time was used to build the Tarleton by-pass, between Banks and Tarleton.

View of the quarry in the 1930's

quarryworker quarryworkings quarryworkings2

Quarry worker 1930's

The Delph 1930's

The Delph 1930's

Many thanks to Maureen and Bob Marsh for providing the photo's and history of Marsh's Delph in the 1930's and 1940's.

Nature Fights Back

After Freda Marsh left the quarry the pumps clearing the water were turned off and the natural spring began to fill the quarry, becoming what was considered a natural beauty spot.

1990's and 80's

Neil Smitham, Chairman of the Trafford Sub-Aqua Club has kindly given us permission to share these pictures.

Taken in the early 90's, a group from the club on the beach.










Diving Eccleston Delph in the 1980's
Taken 8/4/95 in the early evening.

They dived for 43 mins in a three to a depth of 9.5 meters and vis was a max of 3ft!!



Walking on water

These two were taken in the 1980's

The Handless Corpse

October 15, 1979

Eccleston Delph, a flooded quarry in the heart of Lancashire, was never meant to reveal it's gruesome secret. But the body of Martin Johnstone never hit the bottom. The naked, mutilated corpse was found by amateur scuba divers. Read all about it here